Flustered: That time my underwear was stuck to my wallet

Anyone who's ever lived in England knows mornings can be especially hectic when you're trying to get to work by bus. Excruciatingly so.

My mornings, during my time as a recruitment agent in Bournemouth, were no different. On one particular morning, like most others, I was rushing around the studio apartment I lived in, desperately trying to make sure that I wouldn't be forgetting anything once I was ready to leave.

It's funny that one thing that hasn't changed much is my inability to be on time for anything, regardless of what time I wake up in the morning. I find it particularly hard, for some reason, and always manage to grab some item that isn't meant to be in my bag in the process of my neurotic rushing.

As I ran out of the house, my coat hanging from one shoulder, I failed to notice that a pair of underwear from my drawer had sneakily made its way into my tote bag.

The bus had been about to leave once I caught up with it, panting like a maniac (exercise has never been my favourite sport), but the driver was nice enough to step on his breaks when he saw me, chuckling a little at the comical scene of me running up the road.

It's not easy to find a wallet when you're feeling under pressure, even though it might be right there. The huffing and puffing from passengers, who I assumed were already running late to their workplaces or schools, made it even harder for me to concentrate as I rummaged through my tote bag in search of my wallet. I was blindly able to grab it at last and yelled, "Found it!"

To my horror, not only had I found my wallet but also the pair of underwear that had made it along for the trip. The lace was caught in the zipper of my wallet and was hanging proudly from it for all the passengers behind me and on the bus to see. The cursed tote bag. It always seemed to swallow up every item in its path!

In panic mode, and with my armpits itching like crazy (which they usually do whenever I'm feeling embarrassed or awkward), I began fiddling with the zipper to free the underwear. It felt like forever, and once I finally managed (I had to eventually tear it loose), I got my card out and tapped in.

Nothing will come close to describing how I felt as I made my way down the aisle towards a vacant seat amidst giggles and stares. But at least it's safe to say that I always double-check to see that I have no unwanted items from home lingering at the bottom of my bag and eager to make an appearance, most especially my underwear.


Comments

Popular Posts