Flustered: That time I forgot my date's name

I've had far too many awkward experiences to count, and not recording them until now has been the utmost crime. But, seeing as I would one day like to share my awkward escapades with my children, and then grandchildren, I figured I would need a place to record them. At least the incidents I remember. Who knows, I might remember more over time. Anyway, here goes one of many.

I was a second-year student at Bournemouth University at the time and hadn't been on many real dates involving a guy actually taking me out to dinner and paying for everything prior. I was definitely a newbie in terms of what to expect, and perhaps how to act. 

I told myself that, regardless of how nervous I was, I would do my best to let myself shine through. I suppose I may have followed my instructions a little too closely due to what would ensue later on that evening. Anyway, I digress. 

My date must not have sensed how nervous I was, as I began getting extremely awkward after the waitress removed our menus from the table and I had nowhere to focus my attention, or my hands, while I pondered on things to say. 

Luckily, my date was quite the talker, and before I knew it, I was enjoying both our conversation and the food, even though I'd have to ask for it to be packaged a little later as I was so nervous I couldn't even finish it. 

Walking me home


After what I believed was a somewhat successful dinner, I was flattered when my date offered to walk me home. Just like in the movies, I thought to myself. Now that it was just me and him, and all the people and the noise at the restaurant had fallen away, I started feeling a little self-conscious again, so I was happy that he was still taking the lead in terms of conversation. 

We spent the long walk talking about various things and I began feeling a little less tense for each topic we spoke about. Once we reached my place, I felt that I couldn't very well let him walk all the way back without inviting him in for at least a little rest, so I did. 

The introduction


In order to make things less awkward for myself, I decided that it would be a good idea to introduce my flatmate to my date, as had been dying to know what he was like, so I went ahead and got her. As I was introducing her to him, I forgot his name and began scrambling my brain for it. In order to save myself from further embarrassment and more awkward seconds ticking past, I went, "Umm...Introduce yourself", my forehead perspiring. *Facepalm* I could feel my friend's second-hand embarrassment for me and she teased me about it after he'd left.

Fortunately for me, my date hadn't been offended, or at least I don't think so, as we went on a couple more dates after that one. I seem to have forgotten his name again. 



Popular Posts