Representation matters

I'll never forget all the hype that surrounded 'Black Panther' when it was first announced by Marvel ... and then finally going to watch it. On the one occasion where I was awake to watch the whole movie  the previous two times I had unfortunately been called to sleep by the comfortable chairs and the aircon blowing down my neck in the theatre – I had chills all down my spine. Especially when the end credits started. WOW! I was blown away.

It was such an emotional moment for me, and for many reasons. Never had I, ever, seen such magnificence on a big screen. I felt right at home, even in a room full of strangers, like I was connected to something far greater than the theatre I was sitting in. As I sat there, my eyes glued to the screen, I realised one of the reasons for my feeling that way was due to finally seeing black people in roles that weren't attached to slavery, to gangs and to violence or downright degradable positions. But to power, to royalty, to strength and so much more. If I could feel that way as an adult, then imagine what little children felt, what they must feel when they see themselves in roles that carry strength and authority.

I grew up longing to read even one book about someone who looked remotely like me, or someone in whom I could see myself and, unfortunately, that never happened. I was stuck reading about people who looked nothing like me and, as bound to the story or as connected to the characters as I felt, it just wasn't enough. I wanted more, I wanted to be represented.

There will always be a sense of pride within me, knowing that my children will grow up in a different kind of world. Not a world which will necessarily be void of racism or ignorance, but a world where they will be able to see themselves represented on more platforms. In that world, I probably won't have to find myself grabbing a set of magazines with black people on the cover and placing them at the front of a magazine stand because someone has decided to place them all the way at the back, where they can barely be seen. In that world, I might not have to explain to them why it is that no one else looks like them, or that there is nothing wrong with the colour of their skin. While my dream about raising them in an entirely African society/environment still stands, I do like that they will most probably experience a better childhood than what I did, and that matters. Representation matters!






Comments

Popular Posts