Love only when you're ready to give

I've spent a lot of time writing poems lately, and maybe the colder months have just made me feel more poetic. Whatever the reason, I'm not complaining.

Although my poems only come from places of inspiration, like television shows, alarm clocks or music, and aren't directly connected to my personal life, I do hope they either help, inspire or console those who read them, no matter their circumstances.
__________________________________________________

Love only when you're ready to give

If I don't immediately give you a shot,
Just know it's because I've been through a lot.
I've been used and abused,
My trust been misused,
My ability to see the good in others completely reduced.

I've been down and disrespected,
Felt emotionally disconnected.
There are things that I've done that I've instantly regretted.

Wearing my heart on my sleeve was not a problem, I used to believe.
But I was young and I was dumb and completely naive.
I ignored my intuition about people in my life who were there to deceive.
Now I'm back to square one,
But instead of constantly giving I'm ready to receive.

"If you stretch yourself too far,
Will others do the same?"
"Will they be there for you when you're going through pain?"
"Will they speak well of you, or will they tarnish your name?"
Were some questions I would ask myself over and over again.

The truth was always in the pudding,
I just ignored the signs.
I didn't want to see it,
I chose to remain blind.
I loved way too hard most of the time,
And would get my heart broken by people who were never mine.

I'm not asking you for anything,
Because I simply don't need it.
All I'm saying is "Don't stir up love unless you're ready to give it."
Unless you're ready to go the extra mile for the one you claim you care for,
Don't form connections that you know you're not here for.






Comments

Popular Posts